The history of Starooskolsky pottery begins with the foundation in 1593 of a fortress situated on a high chalk promontory, descending a steep, almost inaccessible cliff to the Oskol and Oskolets rivers. The location choice for the future town was based mainly as a military defensive point. According the conditions of that time, the main part of the population of the Oskol region formed with the serving people who combined the state service for the protection of the southern borders with economic and fishing activities. Cossacks, archers, gunners, gate`s keeper, coachmen, messengers and many others inhabited the southern field outskirts of the Russian state. Peasants and artisans followed them. The town grew rapidly, there were began to form settlements around the fortress: Pushkarskaya, Streletskaya, Yamskaya, Cossatskaya. Potter masters settled in the latter on Upper Plant Street (now Podgornaya, which starts from the railway stop "Threshing Floor" and stretches along the Oskolets River under the Cossack Hills to the Cathedral of the Ascension).
Choosing the place was due to the deposits of clay layers, the proximity of water (the Oskol River), hilly terrain – the potters made kilns on the slopes of ravines.
It is known that there were three potters courtyards at the beginning of the settlement of the town already.
Due to the economic necessity, the Starooskolsky pottery handicraft industry actively began to develop in the XVII - XVIII centuries. The main products the potters made were the peasant dishes, chimneys, church utensils ... Stucco pots, kortchazhki, zhbany, krynki, bowls and other dishes were made by each potter's family.